One of the hardest habits to kick on my journey to a healthier me has been snacking. I am a snacker. And not the kind where a stick of string cheese can abate me. I want to be able to eat a lot of food. This desire is usually brought around by one of three things:
- watching a movie
My saving grace has been popcorn. Usually my family makes it at home in olive oil in a pot on the stove. However, I have recently delved into the world of coconut oil popcorn and holymoly! The coconut adds just a touch of sweetness which pairs so perfectly with a touch of salt. And according to MyFitnessPal this recipe runs just around 50 calories per cup. You can’t go wrong with that!
Coconut Oil Popcorn
makes roughly 12 1 cup servings
1 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 cup coconut oil
- melt coconut oil into the bottom of a large saucepan or dutch oven
- add popcorn kernels and cover with lid
- turn heat to high and let sit for several minutes, shaking the pot occasional to mix the kernels
- once the popcorn starts popping shake the pot continuously.
- when popping sounds slows to one ever 2-3 seconds turn off heat and dump popcorn into a large bowl
- salt to your taste